It's safe to say that most of us, if not all, are chefs now at this point and time of quarantine. We mean, like, is there anything else one can do to kill time other than cook, cook and cook when all the days have melted onto one another. This is where Zooba comes in to give us some sense of purpose in these trying times. The popular street food joint have just given an online course on Orcas to teach us how to make their iconic, delish roz bel laban.
Sadly, you can't sign up for that course anymore, however, we've contacted Zooba themselves to get the actual recipe from Executive Chef Moustafa El Refaey. In other words, you're welcome.
- Short grain rice 1/2 cup
- Whole milk 1 kg
- White sugar 1/3 cup
- Natural vanilla extract 1/2 tsp
- Marshmallows 1 cup
- Heat the milk in a medium pot on medium-low heat, until it reaches 80c or begins to bubble at the sides
- Add the rice and keep stirring carefully with a whisk for about 25 minutes until it thickens up nicely and the rice has fully cooked and soaked up most of the milk
- Remove from heat
- Add the sugar and vanilla
- Mix really well and add half the marshmallows
- Scoop into bowls and add the rest of the marshmallows on top
- If you, however, like to add an extra layer of flavour, use a cooking torch to char the top -- do not try this though unless you've done so before